OSAP stands for Ontario Student Assistance Program which assists the students financially to continue their current or future part-time or full-time university studies. Primarily, this monetary assistance is offered to Canadian citizens, permanent residents and protected persons.
OSAP may require you to submit an Affidavit as part of your OSAP application if you are unable to provide official documentation to prove something about yourself. OSAP Affidavit can be commissioned remotely/online. We can help you with drafting and commissioning your OSAP Affidavit online or in one of our locations in Ontario.
What is an OSAP Affidavit?
The OSAP affidavit is a legal document required by the Ontario Student Assistance Program. It serves as a sworn statement attesting to the accuracy and truthfulness of the information provided in your OSAP application. In simple terms, it is a declaration that all the details you have provided are correct to the best of your knowledge.
In what situations would I need an affidavit for OSAP?
If you do not have official documentation to prove something, OSAP may require an affidavit. It may be required for the following situations:
- You are living in a common law relationship
- You are a sole support parent (never married or widowed):
- Your marital status (including divorced, separated or widowed)
- Indigenous identity
- Your income
- Your parent’s income
- Your spouse’s income
I am not sure if I require an OSAP Affidavit. What should I do?
If you’re not sure whether you need an OSAP (Ontario Student Assistance Program) Affidavit or have any questions related to it, there are several places you can seek clarification:
- Contact your educational institution’s financial aid office: If you’re a student, your educational institution likely has a financial aid office that can assist you with OSAP-related queries. They are familiar with the application process and can help determine whether an OSAP Affidavit is necessary in your situation.
- Contact the OSAP Support Center: The OSAP Support Center is the official helpline for inquiries related to OSAP. You can reach them by phone, email, or online chat. They will be able to provide you with the necessary information and guidance regarding the OSAP Affidavit requirement.
- Seek advice from fellow students or alumni: If you have friends, classmates, or alumni who have previously applied for OSAP or have experience with the program, you can reach out to them for guidance. They might be able to share their own experiences or point you in the right direction.
The Signer of the Affidavit is not in Ontario. Should the Affidavit be signed in Ontario?
The signer of the OSAP Affidavit can sign it in their respective location. It is not legally binding to sign the Affidavit in Ontario. Simply take the affidavit to a notary public in your province for the signature.
If the signer is out of Canada, they can use online notarial services. All-Canada Notary can help you with online notarization.
Which documents are required to get OSAP Affidavit?
To receive an OSAP Affidavit, a student is required to provide:
1. Evidence and stamped statement for particular elements or sections in the application e.g., to show your common-law status, study or living expenses, your spouse/ parent’s income, etc.
2. A document if he/she is a sole-support parent (having the responsibility of a dependent child/children)
3. Evidence if he/she is separated, divorced, or widowed
4. Evidence for no income
How to get OSAP Affidavit?
It is an easy and hassle-free process. We can help you complete your OSAP Affidavit. Follow the below given steps.
1. Book your appointment! You can complete OSAP Affidavit either in-person or online. For online notarial service click here. To schedule an office visit, book your appointment here. You can enjoy our the same-day service.
2. You meet our Notary Public or the Commissioner of Oaths
2. Get your Affidavit signed within 15 minutes. If you choose remote notarization, you can electronically sign and download the document.
What to consider when getting OSAP Affidavit?
It is imperative to provide accurate information in the affidavit. In order to consider you for the application, the program managers need to verify your income, marital and financial status. Any incorrect or invalid information may lead to rejection of the loan and can be challenged in court.
Lastly, it is very important to get in touch with your university’s financial aid office. They will guide you through the pattern and sections need to be added to your affidavit which would be in accordance with OSAP requirements.
Can I get my OSAP Affidavit notarized online?
Yes, it is legal! All-Canada Notary made this process very easy, quick and efficient. From applying for an affidavit till getting the seal from a commissioner of the oath or notary public, all the process is online which can be completed within the blink of an eye.
What are the common types of affidavits for OSAP
Disclaimer: This blog post is for information purposes only.