Statement of Consent: Issuance of a U.S. Passport To a Child

To obtain a United States passport in Canada for children under the age of 16, both parents/guardians should attend in-person. If both parents/guardians cannot appear in person, a notarized STATEMENT OF CONSENT: ISSUANCE OF A U.S. PASSPORT TO A CHILD (Form DS-3053) should be submitted with the child’s application. All-Canada Notary can notarize your Statement of consent.


What are the steps to apply for US passport in Canada?

Here are the general steps involved:


1. Complete the application form: Fill out Form DS-11, the application for a U.S. passport. This form can be downloaded from the website of the U.S. Department of State.


2. Gather required documents: You will need to provide the following documents:

    • Evidence of U.S. citizenship for the child (such as a birth certificate or Consular Report of Birth Abroad)
    • Evidence of the child’s relationship to the applying parent or guardian
    • Parental identification (e.g., valid U.S. passport, driver’s license, or other government-issued ID)
    • Consent of both parents: If both parents are listed on the child’s birth certificate, they must consent to the issuance of the passport. If one parent/guardian cannot go with the child to apply for the passport, they can give permission by completing Form DS-3053 “Statement of Consent”. Please note, DS-3053 must be notarized.
    • Proof of parental relationship: This can be established through a variety of documents, such as the child’s birth certificate, adoption decree, or court order.
    • Passport photo of the child: Follow the specific photo requirements provided by the U.S. Department of State.


3. Make an appointment: Contact the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate in Canada to schedule an appointment.


4. Attend the appointment: Both parents (or the applying parent/guardian) and the child must be present at the appointment. Bring all the required documents and the application fee.


5. Pay the fees: The passport application fee and any additional service fees can be paid at the U.S. embassy or consulate.


6. Processing time: The processing time for a U.S. passport can vary, but typically it takes around 4 to 6 weeks. You can request expedited service for an additional fee if you need the passport sooner.

What Is a DS-3053 Form?

The DS-3053 form, the “Statement of Consent: Issuance of a Passport to a Minor Under Age 16,” is a document used by the U.S. Department of State for individuals who are applying for a passport for a minor under the age of 16. The DS-3053 form is used in situations where one parent or guardian is unable to appear in person to give consent. It allows the absent parent or guardian to provide their notarized consent for the child’s passport application.

What are the fees?

You will need to pay two fees – an application fee and an acceptance fee. Expedited service costs an additional $60.

  • Application Fee – $100
  • Execution (Acceptance) Fee – $35
  • Application Fee – $15
  • Execution (Acceptance) Fee – $35
  • Application Fee – $115
  • Execution (Acceptance) Fee – $35

Can the DS-3053 form be notarized online?

Yes. You can now get your DS-3053 – Statement of Consent: Issuance of a Passport to a Minor Under Age 16 form notarized online from the comfort of your home and office. Just fill out the DS-3053 form, but don’t sign it. You will date and sign it in front of our notary public in a live session.

How Can All-Canada Notary help?

All-Canada Notary is a network of notaries public. We can help you notarize your Statement of Consent: Issuance of a Passport to a Minor Under Age 16. You can visit our locations for in-person notarial services or use our virtual / online notarial services. You can book your appointment online and get your notarization today.