Custodianship Declaration for a Minor Studying in Canada IMM 5646E

Custodianship Declaration for a Minor Studying in Canada IMM 5646E

Do you know a minor or are you a minor who wants to study in Canada but does not know how to scale through the custodianship declaration hurdle? Stick around for few minutes and let me run you through the concepts and how you can go about it if you want to, or you know someone who needs a custodianship declaration. If you have or know a minor that wishes to study in Canada, you must find a custodian who will support and act as the minor’s guardian during the duration of the minor’s studies or until the minor reaches the age of majority in the destination province since the age of majority may differ from one province to another.

What is a Custodianship Declaration For Minors Studying in Canada (IMM 5646E) Form?

This form must be completed for a minor under the age of 17 if a minor is going to Canada to study but is not accompanied by the parent(s) or legal guardian.  A Custodianship Declaration states that a minor must be looked after by a responsible adult in Canada, who is simply referred to as a custodian.


The minor/child will need a letter of consent from his/her non-accompanying parent(s) or legal guardian and a duly completed Custodianship Declaration – Custodian for Minors Studying in Canada (IMM5646E) form, from their Canadian custodian.

You can download IMM5646E form here

Who is a Minor?

The age at which a person becomes an adult is determined by each province and territory. It could be 18 or 19 depending on the province. Therefore, a “minor ” is someone who is under the age of majority within each defined territory. A custodian is not mandatory for minors 17 years of age and older.  

Who is a Custodian?

A custodian is an adult, who is a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident, who will take care of and support the minor/child. A custodian acts in lieu of the minor’s parent(s) or legal guardians and will be responsible for the minor/child upon arrival in Canada.


To appoint a custodian for a minor student, the IMM 5646E Custodianship Declaration for Minors Studying in Canada must be completed, notarized and submitted to Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada. Also, the form needs to be signed by both the parents/guardian and the custodian:

  • the first page needs to be signed by the custodian and notarized by a notary public
  • the second page needs to be signed by the parents or legal guardians of the minor child and notarized by a notary public


What is the Significance of Custodianship Declaration For a Minor Studying in Canada?

A Custodianship Declaration establishes that the minor/child has a custodian in Canada who will look after and support them during their stay in the country. The custodian is not required for minors aged 17 and above. A visa officer can, however, seek one on a case-by-case basis.

Do You Need to Notarize the Custodianship Declaration Form?

Only documents that are notarized by a Notary Public will be accepted by the Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada officers (IRCC). Afterward, the custodian declaration form must be submitted to Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada.  The notarized Custodian Declaration form proves that suitable arrangements have been made for the care and support of the minor who is traveling into the country to study. 

How can All-Canada Notary help you?

All-Canada Notary can help you notarize your Custodianship Declaration for a Minor Studying in Canada form. Interestingly, Notaries can virtually witness the physical signing of your sworn statements; and All-Canada Notary operates a physical and virtual notary service, so you may not need to undergo the rigors of physical notarization. All you need to do is book an appointment online, and have your Custodianship Declaration for a Minor Studying in Canada form notarized at All-Canada Notary.