Affidavit of Translation: Guidance and Sample. All-Canada Notary

Affidavit of Translation

Do you have documents or supporting documents that are not in English or French? If so, you will most likely, need to provide certified translations. The document may be for any purpose, but the underlying factor is that if it is not in the official language, you may be required to provide certified translations of your documents into Canada’s two official languages which are English or French.

What Is an Affidavit of Translation?

An affidavit of translation is a document that states that translation is an accurate version of the original text. The translator declares on oath that the translation is an accurate representation of the contents of the original document. The translator does this in front of a commissioner authorized to administer oaths in the country where they live. The commissioner or notary public must be proficient in English or French to administer the oath. All stamps and seals that are not in English or French must also be translated.

For Affidavit of Translation sample, please click here

What Are the Requirements For Supporting Documents That Are Not In English or French?

When you submit documents in a language other than English or French, you must provide:

  • A complete certified translation of the original document or a certified copy of the original;
  • The original document in the foreign language or a certified copy of the original document. When a certified copy of the original document is submitted, the translator must stamp both the certified copy and the translation.

Can You Submit the Certified True Copy Of the Original Document?

If you are not submitting the original document that was translated, then you must include a certified true copy of the original.  This can be obtained by taking your original document to a lawyer or Notary who is approved to certify copies in the country in which he/she practices. The lawyer or Notary needs to make a copy of the original document.

Why Do You Need to Translate Your Document?

If any of your documents are not written in English or French, they must be translated, and also attached is the affidavit of translation. Submitting documents (that requires translation) without translation will cost you time and money. When a government agency or an organization receives your document that includes documents that should be accompanied by a translation but are not, you will be required to provide the translation. Hence, you will have to resubmit your document with the corresponding certified translations.

Do You Need a Translator?

For translation in Canada, you can either employ the services of a certified translator or a non-certified translator. If you use a certified translator, the translator will provide a cover letter which needs not be certified. However, if you employ a non-certified translator, the non-certified translator must swear an affidavit of translation.

Can You Translate On Behalf of Yourself Or a Relative(s)?

You cannot translate your document(s), even if you are fluent in both languages. Also, you cannot translate on behalf of your family member even if you are a lawyer, notary public or translator, and neither can they translate on your behalf.

How Can All-Canada Notary Help You?

All-Canada Notary is a network of notaries public that can help you not only certify your affidavit of translation but also drafts documents. All-Canada Notary operates physical and virtual notary services. You can book your appointment online and certify your translated documents physically.