Application for Authorization & Statutory Declaration to Unite with Extended Family. IRCC Immigration Form (IMM 0006E)

imm 0007

The COVID-19 pandemic has made it difficult for extended families to spend time together. This is because the Canadian government placed travel restrictions as a measure to lower the spread of COVID-19.


Following this, the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) came up with procedures, making it possible for extended family members to reunite with their families who are Canadian citizens, permanent residents, or individuals registered under the Indian Act. This involves getting an IMM 0006E application for Authorization and Statutory Declaration.

What is the IMM 0006E Form?

The IMM 0006 is an application for authorization and statutory declaration form used to apply for authorization from the Canadian government to travel to Canada to connect with extended family members that are citizens of Canada or permanent residents. A copy of the IMM 0006E Application for Authorization and Statutory Declaration is available on the IRCC website.

Who is Eligible to Travel to Canada Using the IMM 0006E Form?

All Canadian and permanent residents can travel to Canada without any restrictions. However, this is not the case for foreign nationals or family members who currently reside outside Canada.


Immediate family members will not require any written authorization to meet with Canadian family members. Immediate family members include;


• A spouse
• Dependent child
• A grandchild (dependent child of a dependent child)
• Common-law partner
• Parent/step-parent
• Guardian/ tutor


On the other hand, extended family members must complete the IMM 0006 Canada form and acquire written authorization from the Canadian government. Nevertheless, not all relationships qualify as extended family members. You qualify as an extended family member if you are:


• In an exclusive dating relationship for at least one year with Canadian citizens or permanent residents. You must also have spent time physically with each other.
• A non-dependent child
• A sibling/step-sibling/half-sibling
• A dependent child of a non-dependent child
• A grandparent


If you are related by someone in an exclusive relationship with a Canadian citizen, permanent resident of Canada, or one who is registered under the Indian Act, you should be:


• A dependent child
• A non-dependent adult child
• A dependent child of a non-dependent adult child (Grandchild)


If you are related to the spouse or common-law partner of a citizen of Canada, a permanent resident, or a person that is registered under the Indian Act, you should be:


• A non-dependent adult child
• A dependent child of a non-depended child (grandchild)
• Sibling/step-sibling/Half-sibling
• Grandparent

All-Canada Notary book now
Schedule Your Appointment

Steps for Applying for Uniting with Extended Family Members

Here is a step process for applying for travel exemption for extended family members.

Step 1: Fill the IMM 0006 Application for Authorization and Statutory Declaration form.

• The Canadian citizen or Permanent Resident completes their personal information in Section 1.
• The foreign national or extended family member completes Section 2. They will then fill out section 3 with the consent and signature by typing the name electronically since it will be outside Canada.
• The Canadian citizen will visit a notary office in person and fill out Section 4 with their signature. You will also be declaring that the foreign national is your family member.
• The notary public or commissioner of oaths will then notarize the authorization.


NB: Signing an IMM 0006E form does not guarantee entry into Canada; instead, it is proof that the Canadian citizen has a relationship with a family member outside of Canada.

Step 2: Request Permission to Travel

After completing the IMM 0006E form, the next step is to request permission from the government of Canada for the family member or foreign national to travel to Canada. For details on how to request a written authorization, visit the IRCC web page.

Step 3: Travel to Canada

After signing the IMM 0006E form and written authorization is granted, the family member or foreign national outside of Canada must travel to Canada within six months. They will need to bring a copy of the completed IMM 0006E form and the written authorization. However, they will need to sign a new IMM0006E form six months from signing the form lapses before traveling to Canada.

How to Notarize the IMM 0006E Form Online?

As seen above, the IMM0006 Authorization and Statutory declaration can be notarized in person by a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or someone registered by the Indian Act.


You can book an in-person appointment at our notary office where you will sign and affirm your relationship with the family member mentioned with a commissioner of oaths, a notary public, or a lawyer.


Nonetheless, notarization can also be done online through the online notary services. For this process, you need to:


• Book an online appointment with a notary professional
• Attend the appointment by video call
• Sign the IMM 0006E electronically and download the document


The IMM 0006E processing time will vary on various factors, including the application type. Nevertheless, the standard application time for most cases is seven business days.


All-Canada Notary can help you sign an IMM 0006E form with our online and in-person notarial services. Just use our easy online booking tool to schedule your meeting with us. Same day service may be available.


You can also contact us at [email protected] or call us at +1 866-240-6060 (toll free) for more information.

Get Started: Schedule Your Meeting Now